Brass Monkey Click for Lyrics
First Appearance: Licensed to Ill LP 1986
Written by: Beastie Boys/Rick Rubin
Performed by: Beastie Boys
Production Notes: Produced by Rick Rubin, co-produced by Beastie Boys. Engineered by Steve Ett, mastered by Howie Weinberg. Originally released under Def Jam Recordings, a division of CBS/Columbia Records.
Behind the Beats and Lyrics...
- "Bring it Here" by Wild Sugar from the single "Bring It Here" (1981)
- Brass Monkey - an alcoholic drink comprised of rum, vodka, and orange juice; also referenced in "Rhymin' and Stealin'" and "Slow Ride"
- Charlie Chan - a Chinese film sleuth
- Moët - a fine champagne; also referenced in "Hold It Now Hit It"
- Chivas - a brand of scotch whiskey; also referenced in "Time to Get Ill"
- Double R - Rick Rubin's nickname
- Spanish Fly - an aphrodisiac consisting of powdered, dried beetles
- Martini - an alcoholic drink consisting of gin and vermouth
- 40 oz - 40 oz Old English Malt Liquor
Sample & Reference Breakdown
- "I got a Castle in Brooklyn that's where I dwell" - lyrics are reminiscent of those in "South Bronx Subway Rap" by Busy Bee from the Wild Style soundtrack ("South Bronx, New York, that's where I dwell/To a lot of people it's a living hell")
Performed in 93 known Concerts.
First known Performance:
07-Feb-1987 : Hollywood Paladium, Los Angeles, CA, United States
Last known Performance:
08-Mar-2008 : Centro Dinamico Pegaso, Mexico City, Mexico