Slow Ride Click for Lyrics
First Appearance: Licensed to Ill LP 1986
Written by: Beastie Boys/Rick Rubin
Performed by: Beastie Boys, Keene, Tony & Danny (horns and percussion)
Production Notes: Produced by Rick Rubin, co-produced by Beastie Boys. Engineered by Steve Ett, mastered by Howie Weinberg. Originally released under Def Jam Recordings, a division of CBS/Columbia Records.
Behind the Beats and Lyrics...
- "Low Rider" by War from the album Low Rider (1976)
- White Castle - a hamburger restaurant chain; also referenced in "The New Style," "Girls," "Hold It Now Hit It," and "Slow and Low"
- Miller - a popular American brand of beer; also referenced in "Posse in Effect," "Hold It Now Hit It," and "Time to Get Ill"
- Bud - short for "Budweiser," a popular American brand of beer
- Old Crow - a brand name of bourbon
- Brass Monkey - an alcoholic drink comprised of rum, vodka, and orange juice; also referenced in "Rhymin' and Stealin'" and "Brass Monkey"
- Colonel's chicken - Colonel Sander's chicken, aka Kentucky Fried Chicken
- Heineken - a beer brand from Holland
Sample & Reference Breakdown
- "I'm fly like an eagle and I drink Old Crow" - similar to Steve Miller's "Fly Like an Eagle" song title and a nod to Old Crow bourbon
- "Sittin' around the house, gettin' high and watchin' tube" - similar to lyrics in Steve Miller's song "Take the Money and Run" ("Two young lovers with nothin' better to do/Than sit around the house, get high, and watch the tube")
"We're not using it because it's in a Steve Miller song. We're using it because it's a good line." - Adam Yauch in 1987, in reference to the line "Sittin' around the house, gettin' high and watchin' the tube," which is similar to the lyrics in the song "Take the Money and Run" by Steve Miller
"...moves away from rigid adherence to all things metallic, half-inches with well-known brass riff from LA funksters War's 'Low Rider' hit, augments it with an almost weedy bongo pattern and stirs in lyrics further illustrating the Beasties' inimitably pathetic attempt to be 'bad.'" - excerpted from Rhyming & Stealing: A History of the Beastie Boys by Angus Batey, 1998
Performed in 4 known Concerts.
First known Performance:
26-Dec-1986 : Ritz, The, New York, NY, United States
Last known Performance:
17-Apr-1987 : RPI Fieldhouse, Troy, United States