Back in 2003, during a telephone conversation with Nick
Cooper, it was brought to our attention that somewhere out there in the ether
existed a cartoon that depicted the Young And The
Useless. With a little bit of work and a fair amount of money, we were able to track
down a copy of a punk'zine that featured the full page comic strip. Please note the
- The first cartoon cell depicts the likeness of David
Scilken (referred to as David Stiltupmahass in the next cell) standing out in
front of David Parson's record shop The Ratcage.
A punk flier for an upcoming gig featuring Regan Youth and Black Flag at the A7 club is
seen in the lower left hand corner.
- The second cell has David Scilken promoting his band "The Young and the Useless"
(referred to here as the Young and the Brainless) to anyone that would listen.
- The third cell has David further embellishing his band's accomplishments with the
mention of releasing a full length record.
- In the fourth cell David mentions the song'Rise and Shine' which appeared on
the band's E.P. Real Men Don't
- As the unwilling participant flees David's presence, Scilken continues to state the
band's credentials and name drops 'Johnny Rotten' Lydon of PIL, who the
Young and the Useless actually opened for.
- The sixth and final cell depicts that even the sun in the sky has now become physically
sick from David's self promotion and t-shirt changes.