The Scoop Click for Lyrics
First Appearance: Ill Communication LP May 31, 1994
Written by: Beastie Boys and Mario Caldato
Performed by: Beastie Boys
Production Notes: Produced by Beastie Boys and Mario Caldato, recorded and mixed at G-Son Studios, Atwater Village CA and Tin Pan Alley, New York, NY. Engineered by Mario Caldato and assistant engineer Settly. Sequenced at Bundy's Playhouse, mastered at Futuredisc by Tom Baker
Behind the Beats and Lyrics...
- "Jacob's Ladder" by Cedar Walton Jr.
- "I Know I Could Love You Better" by The Free Movement
- "Tough" by Kurtis Blow from the album Tough (1982)
- "Atma: Tomorrow" by Michael Urbaniak's Fusion on the album Atma (1974)
- Grasshoff - the Grasshoffs, a couple who owned the Hollywood Hills property the Beastie Boys rented and lived in while recording Paul's Boutique; nicknamed "The G-Spot"
- Fila - manfacturer of sports apparel
- David Koresh (1959-1993) - infamous leader of the Branch Davidians who was eventually killed during a two-month standoff with the FBI
- Huggy Bear - a mid-1990's riot-grrrl group
Sample & Reference Breakdown
- "And every day I write the book down line by line" - refers to "Every Day I Write the Book," a 1983 song by Elvis Costello and the Attractions
- "I took a sledgehammer and I broke my nine" - a video clip of Adam Yauch smashing his 9mm pistol with a sledgehammer is featured in the video "Something's Got to Give" on The Skills to Pay the Bills video