Long Burn the Fire Click for Lyrics
First Appearance: Hot Sauce Committee Part Two, April 2011
Written and Produced by: Beastie Boys Published by: Brooklyn Dust Music/Universal-Polygram International Publishing Inc. (ASCAP) Recorded by: Beastie Boys, Jon Weiner, and Andre Kelman at Oscilloscope Laboratories Mixed by: Beastie Boys and Philippe Zdar at Electric Lady Studios, NYC; Assistant Mix Engineer: Pet Bischoff Mastered by: Vlado Meller at Universal Mastering Studios, NY; Assisted by Mark Santangelo
Behind the Beats and Lyrics...
- "Shallow Water" by the Supernatural Folk (featuring Dianne Wenworth)
- Troll 2 - a 1990 horror film directed by Claudio Fragasso
- Grandmaster Caz - Curtis Fisher (1961- ), a member of Cold Crush Brothers, considered to be the first hip-hop artist who was both a DJ and MC
- Soothsayer - one who claims to predict the future
- Big Mac - a hamburger sold by the international fast-food chain McDonald's
- Jerome - Jerome Crooks, the Beastie Boys tour manager since the 2004 Pageant Tour
- Kenny Rogers Roaster - a chicken restaurant that was founded by country musician Kenny Rogers and former Kentucky governor John Brown, Jr.
- Braggadocio - cocky boasting
- Disco Donut - a 24-hour eatery in Manhattan, located at 150 East 14th Street, that existed in the late 70's; it features prominently in the film Taxi Driver
- Proctologist - a doctor who specializes in diseases of the rectum and anus
- Willis Reed (1942- ) - a basketball player with the New York Knicks (1964-1974); voted one of the 50 Greatest Players in NBA History
- Elton John (1947- ) - an English singer, composer, and pianist who has sold more than 250 million records, making him one of the most successful artists of all time
- Tic Tac Toe - a game for two players (X and O), who take turns marking the spaces in a 3 x 3 grid
- Operation - a board game created by Milton Bradley in 1965 that tests players' hand-eye coordination and fine motor skills
- Bazzini - a maker of packaged nuts, based in New York City
- Sergio Tacchini (1938- ) - an Italian fashion designer of sportswear
- Raising Hell - Run-DMC's third album, released in 1986, and the name of their tour, which included Beastie Boys, Whodini, LL Cool J, and Timex Social Club on the bill
- Taco Bell - an American chain of fast-food restaurants, specializing in Mexican-style food
- Mike Dino - nickname for Mike Diamond; also referenced in "Make Some Noise"
- Brad Pitt (1963- ) - an American actor and film producer, described as one of the world's most attractive men
Sample & Reference Breakdown
- "So step back and check yourself" - a warning to examine your actions because you are in a potentially bad situation
- "I take that shit serious like Jerome to grillin'" - refers to a BBQ cook-off challenge among Jerome Crooks (Beastie Boys tour manager during the 2004 Pageant Tour), Tim Colvard (Beastie Boys sound man during the Pageant Tour), and Jamie Billett (Beastie Boys cameraman during the Pageant Tour); the challenge and results were captured on film and included as bonus material on the dvd for the Beastie Boys concert film Awesome; I Fuckin' Shot That; Jerome took third place and Tim took second place, leaving Jamie as the winner; of the three contestants, Jerome was clearly the most serious about the contest
- "Proof is in the pudding" - a take on the proverb "the proof of the pudding is in the eating," which implies that the end result of an endeavor is what matters
- "Hoist our number to the rafters" - refers to retirement (when a sports star retires, his or her numbered jersey is often placed in the rafters of the home arena [especially in basketball])
- "Wasn't we here back on Raising Hell?" - the printed lyrics on Hot Sauce Committee Part Two notes that this comment is attributed to "Mookie in 1987"; Mookie Wilson was the head of security on the Beastie Boys Licensed to Ill tour
- "Mike Dino, the Jewish Brad Pitt" - Mike's name for himself is likely a reference to entertainer Dean Martin, whose real name was Dino Paul Crocetti. Name play is a common device Mike uses in songs. On Hot Sauce Committee Part Two, Mike is Mike Dino in "Make Some Noise" and "Long Burn the Fire," Michel Pérignon in "Nonstop Disco Powerpack," and Mike Bazzini in "Long Burn the Fire." In "B Boys in the Cut," Mike explains: "I switch up my name pretty much how I like."
No Known Performances in Concert.