Live at PJ's Click for Lyrics
First Appearance: Check Your Head LP, 21 April 1992
Written by: Beastie Boys and Mark Nishita
Performed by: Adam Yauch (bass), Michael Diamond (drums), Adam Horovitz (guitar), Mark Nishita (D6, Clav, Organ, Wurlitzer), James Bradley Jr (percussion)
Production Notes: Engineered by Mario Caldato, produced by Beastie Boys and Mario Caldato. Recorded and mixed at G-Son Studios, Atwater Village, CA. Sequenced at PCP Labs. The Maestro (Live) recorded in Europe, in winter of 1995.
Behind the Beats and Lyrics...
- Kool and the Gang's album Live at PJ's (1971)
- Joe & Tony's Barber Shop
Sample & Reference Breakdown
- "This one's for you and you and you" - lyrics are reminiscent of the skit "Busy Bee at the Amphitheater" by Busy Bee on the Wild Style soundtrack ("I got you and you and you and you")
- "Gonna' break it down to the nitty grit/I'm gonna tell you motherfuckers why you ain't shit" - similar to Kool Moe Dee during his infamous battle with Busy Bee at Harlem World who rapped "we gonna get right down to the nitty grit, gonna tell you a little something why you ain't shit"
- "Gonna run to Joe & Tony's and get my hair cut nice" - refers to Joe & Tony's Barber Shop, a barber shop located at Lispenard and Church Street in Manhattan
- "Give me little clap, a soul clap" - lyrics refer to those in "Street Rap" by Busy Bee from the Wild Style soundtrack ("C'mon gimme a lil' soul clap")
"...fuzzadelic bass and great pots-and-pans drum dynamics" - Boston Herald, 1992
"The dead-on, icy, blues-organ grooves of [Money Mark's] vintage Hammond and Leslie combo percolate over various punk rock mutations" - Boston Herald, 1992
"...evokes a schmaltzy hotel lounge act" - Newsweek, 1992
"...a cheesy Vegas-style lounge act" - Rapsheet, 1992
"...where [the Beastie Boys] pick up instruments and create the guitar and keyboard funk sessions that are [Check Your Head's] true vibe" - The Source, 1992
Performed in 54 known Concerts.
First known Performance:
17-May-1992 : Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI, United States
Last known Performance:
26-Sep-2007 : Riveria Theatre, Chicago, IL, United States