B-Boys Makin' with the Freak Freak Click for Lyrics
First Appearance: Ill Communication LP May 31, 1994
Written by: Beastie Boys
Performed by: Beastie Boys
Production Notes: Produced by Beastie Boys and Mario Caldato, recorded and mixed at G-Son Studios, Atwater Village CA and Tin Pan Alley, New York, NY. Engineered by Mario Caldato and assistant engineer Settly. Sequenced at Bundy's Playhouse, mastered at Futuredisc by Tom Baker
Behind the Beats and Lyrics...
- Adam Yauch's answering machine message (featured only on Grand Royal and non-US releases of Ill Communication)
- The skit "French Girl" from the 1974 comedy album That Ain't My Finger by Mantan Moreland
- "Beat Bop" by Rammellzee & K-Rob, a 1983 test pressing
- Yahtzee - a popular dice game
- K-Rob - an old-school rapper
- Rammellzee (1960-2010) - an old-school graffiti artist and early MC/rap pioneer
- Mike McGill (1964- ) - an old-school skateboarder for Bones Brigade
- Russell Simmons - Beastie Boys former manager
- D.F.L. - a hardcore/punk band, also known as Dead Fucking Last
- Anthony Mason (1966-2015) - a professional basketball player
- I.R.T. - Interboro Rapid Transit
- Penn Station - Pennsylvania Station, a New York City train station
- 8th Ave - an avenue in Manhattan
- Savoir faire (French) - knowledge of just what to do in any situation
- The Knicks - New York Knicks, a professional basketball team
- Madison Square Garden - New York City indoor sports arena
- Hasbro - a popular board game manufacturer
- Prince Jazzbo (1951-2013) - a reggae producer and musician
- Little Cindy Lou Who - a character in Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas!
- Hurra - nickname for DJ Hurricane
- Raising Hell Tour - the name of the Beastie Boys/Run-DMC mid-80's concert tour
- J.J. Evans - a character on the 70's television series "Good Times," portrayed by Jimmy Walker
- P.G.A. Pro Golf Tour - Sega video game
- Audi - term meaning "I'm outta here"
- Timbos - nickname for Timberland footwear
- Mario - Mario Caldato, Beastie Boys producer
- Nonni's - an Italian food company, famous for its biscotti
Sample & Reference Breakdown
- "Allo? Allo...c'est un message pour Adam. Bon Adam, tu n'es pas la mais qu'est-ce tu fabriques? C'est Stephanie Volaine. I hope you learn how to speak French, because I was saying crazy bullshit about you one second ago." - Translated: "Hello? Hello...this is a message for Adam. Ok, Adam, you're not there but what are doing? It's Stephanie Volaine. I hope you learn how to speak French, because I was saying crazy bullshit about you one second ago."
- "Got fat bass lines like Russell Simmons steals money" - in 1987, Russell Simmons and Def Jam records claimed Beastie Boys owed them seven more albums; Beastie Boys counter claimed for breach of contract and alleged that Def Jam withheld over two million dollars of royalty payments
- "B-Boys makin' with the freak freak" - a sample from "Beat Bop" by Rammellzee and K-Rob
- "Shit, if this is gonna be that kind of party, I'm gonna stick my dick in the mashed potatoes" - a sample from the skit "French Girl" from the comedy album That Ain't My Finger by Mantan Moreland
"Got fat bass lines like Russell Simmons steals money"
"I'd like to say I have no animosity, but that would be a lie. How can you not dislike someone who stole from you?" - Michael Diamond, 1989
"Sending this out to K-Rob and Rammellzee"
"Rammellzee is a huge influence on the Beastie Boys - an underground hero with his own language and followers" - Beastie Boys, Summer 1994
No Known Performances in Concert.