Dropping Names Click for Lyrics
First Appearance: Paul's Boutique LP, July 1989
Written by: Beastie Boys
Performed by: Beastie Boys
Production Notes: Produced by Beastie Boys & Dust Brothers. Recorded at Mario G's, mixed at Record Plant. Engineered by Mario Caldato, assisted by Allen Abrahamson. Originally released on Capitol Records.
Behind the Beats and Lyrics...
- "Into the Night" by Sweet from the album Desolation Boulevard (1974)
- A 1979 Bob Marley interview
- "Hey Pocky A-Way" by The Meters from the album Rejuvenation (1974)
- "The Well's Gone Dry" by The Crusaders from the album Southern Comfort (1974)
- "Ebony Jam" by Tower of Power from the album In the Slot (1975)
- PCP - a potent hallucinogenic drug
- Tongue twister - a word or sequence of words difficult to pronounce
- Shamus - a 1973 film starring Burt Reynolds
Sample & Reference Breakdown
- Piano and drum - a sample from "Hey Pocky A-Way" by The Meters
- "He thrusts his fist against the post and still insists he see a ghost" - tongue twister to correct stuttering problems
- Music sample after tongue twister is from "The Well's Gone Dry" by The Crusaders
- "Ya explain to a musician...them knew it, but them can't do it" - a sample from an interview with Bob Marley by Dylan Taite in Aotearoa, New Zealand (1979)
"...a selection of snippets of New York life loosely bound together by their shared brevity; it forms a sort of final summary of what Paul's Boutique is all about" - paraphrased from Rhyming & Stealing: A History of the Beastie Boys by Angus Batey, 1998
Popular opinion is that Adrock can be heard whispering "Take PCP" before the song begins.
No Known Performances in Concert.