Click for Lyrics
First Appearance: Sure Shot 1994
Written by: Beastie Boys
Performed by: Beastie Boys
Production Notes: Produced by Beastie Boys and Mario Caldato, engineered by Mario Caldato. Recorded at G-Son Studios, Atwater Village CA and Tin Pan Alley, New York, NY. Sequenced at Bundy's Playhouse, mastered at Futuredisc by Tom Baker.
Behind the Beats and Lyrics...
- Mullet - a hairstyle with the hair cut short on the sides and in the front, but long and flowing down the back neck
- Van Damme - Jean-Claude Van Damme (1960- ), a Belgian actor
- Kenny G - Kenny Gorelick (1956- ), a mullet-headed jazz instrumentalist whose sound has been a staple on adult contemporary and "smooth jazz" radio stations
- Trans Am - much favored sports car by mulletheads everywhere
- Billy Ray - Billy Ray Cyrus (1961- ), a mullet-sporting country singer who hit the charts with his catchy 1992 release "Achy, Breaky Heart"
- Hip Hop Hooray - irritatingly catchy 1993 song by the East Orange, New Jersey rap group Naughty By Nature
- Oakleys - sunglasses
- Stonewash - pants that have been washed with pebbles or stones so that they have the appearance of wear
- MTV - Music Television: a cable television subscription service featuring music videos "24 hours a day"
- IROC - sports car
- New York Post - New York City daily newspaper
- Joey Buttafuoco (1956- ) - "Long Island Iced Teased" auto mechanic whose affair with 16-year-old Amy Fisher put him in prison for four months
- Amy Fisher (1974- ) - suburban teen who made headlines when she shot Mary Jo Buttafuoco, her older lover's wife
- Casanova (1725-1798) - Italian adventurer and writer reputed to have had many amourous adventures
"There's nothing quite as bad as a bad haircut. And perhaps the worst haircut of all is the cut we call 'The Mullet'" - Editors of Grand Royal
"I like the Mullet, though I don't think I'll be sporting one any time soon. I mean, being from LA and all, I don't think it would work. It's more of a cold weather cut. The Mullet works better when the air is crisp. You could rock one in San Francisco, for example, but not L.A. Still, it's a very versatile cut. I've seen women rock the Mullet. Little kids. I even saw a dog with a mullet the other day - not a poodle or Mike's dog Rufus, but an Irish Mullet Head, I think it was. I also told my buddy Pete, a who's riffin' with his wife that he should take his kid Calvin and get him a Mullet and a tattoo. That would shut her up! To me the Mullet is as American as pick-ups with rifle racks, tractor pulls, Wal-Mart , wet T-shirt contests, slapping your girl upside the head with a frying pan and living in the woods. In fact, I think it's time the Mullet became the official cut of the U.S. Armed Forces. Fuck the crew cut. Crew cuts are soft. You won't see no Mullet on Christopher Street. The Mullet is the white man's jheri curl. Hell, maybe I will get me a Mullet after all. A Mullet, an El Camino with nitros, a six of Coors, an eight ball of meth and just ride. All time favorite Mullet? Gotta be the Incredible Hulk. No question" - "In Defense of the Mullet," Grand Royal Issue #2 by Sean "The Captain" Carasov
Performed in 5 known Concerts.
First known Performance:
20-May-1995 : Rosemont Horizon, Chicago, IL, United States
Last known Performance:
31-Jan-1997 : Shinjuku Liquid Room, Tokyo, Japan